Thursday, March 18, 2010

Trip to D.C.


Two weeks ago I was able to attend the Advocacy Summit in Washington D.C. with my masters program. It was a m a z i n g. The conference was great, we learned about the four top health priorities of the Society of Public Health Educators, as well as advoacy skills that we could use while discussing these topics with legislators. The four priorities we learned about were the REACH program (Racial and ethnic approaches to community health), DASH (Division of adolescent and school health), the block grant, and the reauthorization of the Elementary and Secondary Education act. Monday we were able to meet with our specific state representatives and senators asking for increased funding for these programs. It was so neat to be on Capital Hill talking with the legislators from California. I loved it.



In our free time we were able to tour the beautiful city of D.C. Such an awesome place. We walked everywhere and we lucked out with sunny weather. I loved visiting the monuments, the Lincoln, Washington, Viet Nam, Korean, FDR, and Jefferson were some of my favs.



The museums were incredible to. I was able to go to the natural history museum, the national museum of American history, and the Holocaust museum. I wanted to go to all of them, but time just didn't permit- I guess that means we'll have to go back!


I loved all of the old buildings and the columns. I loved being in such a historical place. One of my favorite parts about the city were all of the quotes on the buildings, in the buildings, on the memorial walls, etc. They were so inspiring and spiritual. It was so great for me to remember that our country was founded upon God and righteous principles. I am so grateful to live in this country and to enjoy the many freedoms we are blessed with.


Monday morning we were able to go the Arlington cemetary. It was a very humbling experience to see all of the tombstones and realize the hundreds of thousands of lives lost to protect our freedom. We were able to see the changing of the guards in front of the Tomb of the Unknowns. The Tomb of the Unknowns has been guarded continuously, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, since July 2, 1937. Rain, snow, hail, it doesn't matter. The changing of the gaurds was pretty sweet. Here is the ritual that they do all day, every day, until they are relieved, which is every half hour in the summer and every hour the rest of the year.


1.The soldier walks 21 steps across the Tomb. This alludes to the 21-gun salute, which is the highest honor given to any military or foreign dignitary in America. His weapon is always on the shoulder opposite the Tomb.


2.On the 21st step, the soldier turns and faces the Tomb for 21 seconds.

3.The soldier then turns to face the other way across the Tomb and changes his weapon to the outside shoulder.

4.After 21 seconds, the first step is repeated.

Anyways, I loved the trip. I learned a lot, became closer friends with the other students in the MPH program, and was inspired to be a better American citizen. It was hard being away from Chance for a week, but the reunion was AMAZING. Haha.. needless to say we were very happy to see each other. Two weeks after being home and I am still finding sweet notes that he has hidden throughout our house. Wow I love him.

4 comments:

Cindy Brink said...

Ok fun to see some of your trip pictures but I was really disappointed that you didn't stand in front of the Washington memorial and have the point stick out of the top of your head for the picture.....oooolala, Paris!!!!

EmylovePaul said...

so fun!!! I heart DC.

Sarah said...

So fun! I wish I could have gone with you

Lily said...

You are in big trouble missy! You visit my hood and don't call?!?! It is a wonderful place!